St. John Organ History

A Time Line of the Organs at St. John Lutheran Church

1852—St. John Lutheran Church Founded.
1853—First service held in one-story frame church near the southeast corner of Van Buren and Washington Streets.
1853—Small reed organ imported from Germany.
1863—12 rank, 2 manual and pedal organ / mechanical action / hand pumped bellows placed in balcony of the first brick church ($950.00).
1893—17 rank, two-manual Barckhoff organ installed in the bell tower area of the rear balcony ($2,400).
1928—28 rank, four-manual Wicks direct electric action organ installed in the front of the church.
1969—43 rank, three-manual Casavant organ installed in the rear balcony ($58,300).

Leave a Reply